Friday, September 6, 2013

Everybody loves the previews!!

Movie trailers.  Quick little 30 second teasers, 2 and a half minute mini films where an entire plot gets ruined or all of the jokes told.  They're at the heart and soul of the film industry.  I love movie trailers, they're my favourite part of going to the theatre.  I'm going to risk any and all of my credibility right now and show some Dane Cook, since I think he said it best.


Everybody loves the previews!  I've done exactly that countless times, just without the douchey armband and terrible haircut.  Okay, maybe with the terrible haircut.

The movie industry uses trailers as a tool to get our money.  If they can sell you with the trailer, they can probably sell you on a $12 movie ticket (and $20 for popcorn and a drink).  But we, as a society are not paying enough attention to the works of art that are these movie trailers.  They can be epic in scope, or mysterious in just revealing enough information to pique your interest, or just the same old boring stock footage that Dane Cook was referring to above.

That's why I've decided to review movie trailers.  They'll be given a ranking out of five stars, and at the end I'll also let you know whether you should See It (the movie itself) or Skip It.

I'll be using a highly scientific module to rate these trailers.  That is to say, it will be incredibly subjective towards my personal taste, biases against actors/directors, my current mood and whether or not I've had my morning cup of coffee.  Disagree with an opinion of mine?  Leave a note in the comment section and we can have a spirited debate about the quality of movie trailers.  Have a trailer you'd like me to check out?  Send it to me on twitter @DPernitsky or email me at d.pernitsky@gmail.com .  New trailer or old, it doesn't matter at all!  

I'll be updating this blog generally once a week, featuring several trailers in each update, depending on the volume of content that's out there.  We're just about to dip in to Oscar season so we should probably be seeing the studios A game.

As a quick preview, let's look at one of my favourite trailers from the summer, for Ben Stiller's adaptation of

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  

(December 25)

 

At the risk of being hyperbolic HOLY SHIT THAT'S THE BEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN.  This is an example of a great trailer that knows its target audience.  The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is originally a short story by James Thurber published in 1939. The trailer shows Ben Stiller as the title character, but more importantly, features hipster favourites Kristen Wiig and Adam Scott.  

Music is always so, so, so important for a Movie Trailer, and the use of Of Monsters and Men's song  King and Lionheart  really captures the epic scope of the film, along with pandering to the same crowd that will get excited about "Ben from Parks and Rec" being in the movie.

And yeah, Ben Stiller, Walter Mitty, you'll take the red one.  You can have my $12 on release date (Christmas Day).



Rating: 5 Stars

See It!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment