Friday, September 20, 2013

A Double Shot of the Always Entertaining, Sometimes AIDS Riddled Matthew McConaughey, with Bonus Creepy Michael Cera! Trailer Reviews for the week of Sept 20

On this week's edition of Three Minutes or Less, we take a look at the often-shirtless Matthew McConaughey, who's clearly been busy with a couple of new films coming out.



Dallas Buyers Club (November 1)

I started watching this trailer not expecting too much.  Matthew McConaughey, who I think can be a terrific actor (I really enjoyed his work in Frailty, and Two for the Money), has also been known to make some pretty shitty chick flicks.  Such is the life of a talented, good looking man, I guess.  So as soon as I saw the cowboy hat wearing, gamblin, texas accent using McConaughey, my eyes started to glaze over.  Until I heard he was HIV positive.

AIDS is some pretty heavy material obviously, and has been well portrayed dramatically in movies in the past.  This movie puts a twist on that narrative, crossing the AIDS movie with a heist + Mexico drug smuggling + cowboy flair.  The cast is great, with Jennifer Garner in the female lead, and Jared Leto suiting up in drag.

The trailer itself is very well executed.  As I mentioned in the opening, there's a little bit of a bait and switch at the beginning, and the high pitched ringing that plays when Woodroof find out he's HIV positive gives a nice feel of what that would be like.

I would have liked the trailer to have been a little shorter, maybe not to have shown its hand all at once. The concept and the star power of the movie are enough to get people to shell out their money to see it, so I think the downward arc of the trailer, starting at about the 2:00 mark was unnecessary.  That being said, the use of The Alabama Shakes' excellent song You Ain't Alone definitely earned it some points with me.

This movie, on a limited release starting November 1st and having a wider release later in the winter, is pure Oscar bait, and I mean that in the best possible way.  This is McConaughey's best shot at a Leading Male golden statue so far in his career, and I'll be shocked if he isn't at least nominated for the harrowing change his body went through during the film.  I'm checking it out.

Trailer: 4 stars
See It!

The Wolf of Wall Street (November 14)


I always talk about the importance of music in movies, and movie trailers.  Martin Scorsese knows this better than anyone else.  The pounding drums from Kanye West's BLKKK SKKKN HEAD provide a great backdrop for the gross excess we see during the whole trailer, and really add an element of intensity to it.

I'll go see Leo in pretty much anything, I even went and saw him in a terrible adaptation of my favourite F. Scott Fitzgerald novel.  He's the only logical choice for this film, and putting him beside an all grown up Jonah Hill should make for a lot of fun.  (Sidebar, after Superbad, if you would've told me that Hill would be making serious flicks beside Brad Pitt and Leo I would've called you crazy.  Good for him.) 

And then BAM!  McConaughey comes in steals the show at the end with that awesome scene with Leo.  I didn't know it was possible to have that stick out in my head more than the midget throwing, but the dude can seriously act.

This movie promises to be terribly misogynistic, but we'll see whether or not Scorsese is condemning that mindset or merely having a blast with money, women, and yachts.  Either way, it should be a boat load of fun.

Hat tip to fellow CreCommer Cella Rousseau for the tip on the trailer!

Trailer: 5 Stars
See It!

Magic Magic (January 22)


"Oh hey, a new Michael Cera movie.  This could be cute and fun to review.  Wait.  Why are you so creepy Michael.  WHAT ARE YOU DOING MICHAEL. WHY ARE YOU TELLING THAT SWEET GIRL TO PUT HER FACE IN THE FIRE.  STOP IT!!!! YOU'RE RUINING MY CHILDHOOD!"

Trailer: Nightmares
Nope.  Not seeing it.  No way.












No comments:

Post a Comment