Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ensemble Casts Everywhere! Trailer Reviews for Oct 17

When I'm deciding on a movie to watch, a few factors make an impact on what I'm going to spend the next two hours watching.  Really great directors (Tarantino, Scorcese) will catch my attention sometimes, but usually it's the cast.  One or two great actors can raise my interest, but if a film can deliver an exceptional ensemble cast featuring several actors that I really respect, than the movie studio already has my money.  The three trailers I've got this week all have that in common.




Ahhh, family.  Everybody has one, and every once in a while you kinda hate them.  This film, which is based on a play, touches on that familiar theme: "How long can you deal with your family before you try and strangle them?"



Judging by this movie poster, not very long with this family.  Yes, that's Julia Roberts trying to assault Meryl Streep, so I'm sold.

Take a look at the names below the title in that poster.  There's twelve of them.  Twelve!!!  That's an insane number of people to credit, and their names are all flashed in the trailer as well.  That top line in particular is super impressive, ranging from an old master of the craft in Meryl Streep, to the always impressive Julia Roberts (who never seems to age), down to one of my favourite young talents, Abigail Breslin who has seven movies coming out this year.  The men are no slouches either, especially Ewan McGregor.  It should be interesting to see if all these stars can make the most of their screen time, as the movie only has so much time to dole out.

The trailer itself was effective, mixing a gloomy, depressing family that obviously has its issues (Meryl Streep as the stereotypical Valium addicted, bitchy, racist matriarch that speaks her mind because she just doesn't care anymore, McGregor and Roberts as a separated couple because of the man's extra-marital affairs) with a few comic moments.  Some of the lines in this trailer were great, and I'm looking forward to watching Breslin act out the generational gap between the older members of the cast.

Good use of the Lumineers song near the end of the trailer, it did a good job of giving it that small town feel.  While the cast is strong, I'm worried this movie may try and do a bit too much and turn into a bit of a mess, but we'll see.

Trailer: 3.5 Stars
See it, on DVD.



This film's been on my radar for a little while now.  Directed by Ridley Scott and written by Cormac McCarthy, it falls under the category of a movie I'd probably go see regardless who's in it.  But look at that cast

Pitt (In a cowboy hat!). Diaz (Actually doing some serious acting!).  Cruz (Being Penelope Cruz!).  

And those three aren't even the star.  Michael Fassbender is finally getting some big time recognition starring in this movie ahead of Pitt.  Apparently his roles in Prometheus has vaulted him to the top of call sheets everywhere, as he's got NINE movies either freshly completed, underway, or announced.  Good for him.

Rounding out this impressive group of actors is Javier Bardem.... 

who I will never not mix up with Benicio Del Toro, Hank from Breaking Bad, and a Cheetah!

What's the movie about?  Well it's some type of sexy thriller involving these people and guns
so I'm sold.  Great use of AWOL Nation's "Sail" in the trailer as well.

Trailer: 4 Stars
See It!





Okay, confession time.  The only Wes Anderson movie I've ever seen is about an animated fox.  I know, I know, I'm just the worst.  Trust me though, I plan on rectifying this soon, I've got The Royal Tenenbaums and Moonrise Kingdom ready to go, and there's no way I'll be missing The Grand Budapest Hotel.

This ensemble cast is phenomenal.  Ed Norton is one of my favourite actors ever, and just take a look at the names on top of this poster:


Like I said, I'm not very familiar with Anderson's work, but he's known for being quirky and a little out there, which sounds right up my alley.  This trailer indicates more of the same from him here, and I'm hoping to become another Anderson fanboy by the time I see it.  If the vibrant, colourful visual style and quick witty dialogue in this trailer are anything like the rest of his work, I'm sure I'll be charmed just like everybody else.

Hat Tip to Marcel Picard @marcelpicard for sending me this trailer the second it came out.

Trailer: 4.5 Stars
See It!

No comments:

Post a Comment