Friday, January 24, 2014

George Clooney, Justin Bieber, and a 19-year-old sex worker walk into a bar....

Before we begin, an Oscar season haiku...

So many good movies
Will I ever see them all?
Drowning in homework

So while I'm doing my best to plough through the rest of the movies I haven't seen before March 2nd, they might have to wait until Reading Week. In the meantime though, the movie industry never stops, which means there's always new trailers to watch. Thankfully, most of them only take up about two minutes of my time.




I saw this trailer before catching The Secret Life of Walter Mitty in theatres last Friday (before you give me shit for watching this over an Oscar contender, allow me to point out that Walter Mitty was the inaugural review of this blog).  I really enjoyed the trailer, but anything with Clooney, Damon, Murray and Goodman is guaranteed to get my attention.

The concept seems like a neat twist on an event (WWII) that's seemingly been mined from every conceivable angle. The Monuments Men are apparently a military task force given the job of ensuring that European art isn't destroyed by Hitler and the Nazis. Cool idea.  (Side note: Goodman and Murray as soldiers? I'd have a tough time believing that even if they were in their twenties.)

I feel like the movie's got a great shot to say something about art and how meaningful it really is to our society, as well as the connection that people can have with it. The trailer seems to hint at these themes.

Or, it could be a shitty George Clooney vanity project where he blows shit up with his buddies.

Trailer: 3 Stars
Catch it on Netflix.



Finally, finally, finally a leading role for Kathryn Hahn. She's been nothing short of phenomenal in supporting roles, stealing scenes in Step Brothers, Parks and Recreation, We're the Millers... Basically anything funny and quirky from the last 5 years. This movie gives her a shot to carry a film, and I'm pulling for her to knock one out of the park. 

Josh Radnor though... He feels like a one-note trombone to me. His character Ted on How I Met Your Mother is the low point of the show, and the one feature film I've seen him in, Liberal Arts, was good in spite of him, not because of him.

I have absolutely no idea who Juno Temple is, but she plays a 19-year-old stripper/sex worker/nanny, so that should be fun.

The trailer was full of great lines ("To hook? Is that the verb") and had some great visual gags as well. As is mandatory in any quirky comedy, Jane Lynch plays a psychiatrist. 

This just premiered at Sundance, so I'm not sure how wide of a release it will get, but if you can, I'd probably go See It.
Trailer: 4 Stars



Presented without comment. (Except for the fact that "Are you aware you could be the next train wreck" is sounding pretty prophetic right now).

#Believe












No comments:

Post a Comment